Hummus is one of those things that always makes me cringe when I reach for it in the store - the little voice in my head is always screaming "you could make that, so much faster and cheaper!" Le sigh. It is true, though. Look: quick and easy hummus at home, faster than you can jump in the car and head to the store to buy it. Trust!

- 115-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 1 tablespoon pre-minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons tahini, stirred well
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
Add all ingredients to food processor (or blender, in a pinch) and pulse to combine until desired consistency is reached. Start with 1/8 cup of olive oil, and add a little more as necessary to bring together and smooth out.
Hummus is a wonderful vehicle for all sorts of flavors: you could add more garlic to the recipe above to make garlicky hummus, or add cumin for a different flavor. For the hummus pictured above, I added a frozen chipotle pepper in adobo (I always freeze whatever is left after I open a can) and made a spicy chipotle hummus. Other ideas: fresh basil, chili powder, roasted garlic, kalamata olives, 1/2 a fresh jalapeno - whatever you see in the store can be reproduced at home!
3 comments :
I really need to get on making this myself. We almost ALWAYS have hummus in our fridge, yet I have all the ingredients to actually make it in my cabinets. Major laziness fail. Now I'm determined...
I'm all about making hummus at home, now! I used to spend the $3-5 each week buying a package, but it's SO much cheaper (and better-tasting) from home. Thanks for sharing!
This looks almost too easy. And it's just as simple to add in the different toppings (like extra I-want-to-kill-a-vampire amounts of garlic).
Post a Comment