Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WIAW: freezing cold edition

Y'all. We are officially in the midst of a cold freezing front! When I woke up yesterday morning, it was in the 50s, and by noon, it was in the 30s! I hear that some people even witnessed the first few snowflakes of the season. Feeling more like January than November around these parts, that's for sure. If you need me, you can find me snuggled under a blanket somewhere... or at least wishing I was.

I'm linking up for What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) again this week, so.... bring on the eats!


3/4 of the items in this picture are real shockers, aren't they?? No? Well... whatever. That top-right picture should throw you off a bit, though! Yesterday at work, I kid you not, there were three giant boxes of doughnuts from Dunkin' and a giant bag of Halloween candy. The fact that I managed to go the whole day and only have half a doughnut should be considered nothing short of a small miracle. My sweet tooth was sad.


Lunch was leftovers, per usual, and was really delicious! Since we had Monday off work, we decided to grill, so I pulled a package of bratwursts out of the freezer. We paired that with steamed broccoli and mayo-less potato salad (which I absolutely love). The potato salad turned out better than usual - I may have to recreate and get that recipe up here for you guys! It's quick and easy, and makes a great weeknight side dish.


Mid-afternoon, I went for a paper cup of pretzels (like a kindergartner, right??) - these are actually "pretzel puffs" with air in the middle... kind of weird. They made my mouth dry. Not the best snack I've ever had. Womp, womp.


Dinner last night was exactly what we were needing, given the frigid temps outside: homemade chicken noodle soup, courtesy of my sweet husband, with cheese toast on the side. I had some smoked Gouda in the fridge that I needed to use, and I pictured this getting melty and delicious... ummmmmm, no. I think something about the "smoked"ness of the cheese prevented it from melting the way regular Gouda does, and it just started blistering and getting weird instead. It still tasted delicious, but it definitely wasn't what I was imagining. C'est la vie!

We've got lots of soup left, and it will make perfect leftovers this week. At this point in the season, I can pretty much just leave my soup pot on the stove, because it will be in use constantly! There is truly nothing like a warm, hearty bowl of soup / stew / chili when the weather gets cold. What's your favorite recipe?

10 comments :

  1. Looks delicious- especially for a chilly night dinner!! I'm trying to make chili/stews and soups but it's still a bit warm here in Phoenix!
    My favorite recipe has mango, pineapple, chicken sausage, black beans, jalapenos- it's kinda a one pot meal! Not ideal for winter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe sounds delicious! I'd totally eat something like that in the spring... or even in the winter when trying to transport myself away from the freezing temperatures :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hokie doughnuts! And the mayo-less potato salad sounds delightful. I like potato salad but not mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup with cheesy bread (& chili with cornbread) are the best dinner recipes during the holiday season if you ask me. Your hubbys soup looks delicious. He did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could pair cheesy bread or garlic bread with pretty much any meal, ever... but I probably shouldn't ;) & the homemade chicken noodle soup was FAR better than the canned stuff I was going to go with! ha!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I spy that half of a doughnut. It looks good. I think anything with sprinkles on it is always 100x better than anything else. Yummy. That sausage is eye balling me too. I haven't had one in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG why is it soooo cold?!?! One of my coworkers said she saw flurries yesterday, and my neighbors have their plants bundled up for the overnight freezes. I can't handle it! We also had donuts at work the other day, Krispy Kremes to be exact, and you did so much better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looooove eating soup during this weather! And cheesy bread is always a plus. ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm, these look amazing! Also - mayo-less potato salad? I definitely need a recipe for that. I'm not usually a huge potato salad fan, because most of the time it's WAY too mayo-y (yes that's a word) for me. So this sounds right up my alley. Also, I right there with you on the soup thing. I think we've had at least 2 different soup recipes a week for the last month. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to get the mayo-less potato salad recipe up... I just have to figure out what my actual "recipe" is! Easier said than done, sometimes. Soup is such a good meal to make a ton of and then we have lunches all week. Anything that makes my life simpler like that in a winner in my book!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by Typically Late! I appreciate your comment - I love hearing from my readers. Thank you!