The first thing I baked when we moved into our new house was one of the classics: banana bread! I got out my trusty red Betty Crocker cookbook, and turned to a familiar page. It was something I had all the ingredients for already, and it was a great opportunity to pull out my beloved Kitchen-Aid. The house didn't quite feel like it was ours yet, but baking made me feel a little more at home. Funny how that works, isn't it?
This is an easy recipe, quick to pull together and pretty quick to bake. It's a great one to keep on hand. Plus, Betty Crocker tells me this recipe is low-fat. Perfect! I made two slight modifications to the recipe: I subbed Greek yogurt for the buttermilk (always have Greek yogurt on hand, never have buttermilk... made no difference in the bread) and I added chocolate chips! (Because why not??)
Classic Banana Bread
slightly adapted from the Betty Crocker cookbook
Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350*. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans with shortening.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Stir in bananas (I used one fresh and two frozen that I microwaved til mushy), Greek yogurt, and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake loaves for 60 - 75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire racks.




7 comments :
I LOVE good banana bread! So perfect for a drizzly day (like today!) I'll have to try out this recipe. I love the addition of chocolate chips!
Banana bread is honestly one of my top 10 favorite foods in this world. And yet, I dont make it NEARLY enough! Maybe I'm going to have to start buying more bananas and NOT eating them, just so I have some good brown ones to bake with!
Banana bread is one of my favorite things! And it's definitely 10 times better with chocolate chips!
I love banana bread, and with chocolate chips!! Oh boy! Must make this soon!
Banana Bread is my favorite!! YUM!!
I always end up with yucky, brown bananas at the wrong time - but I just peel them, put them in a ziplock, and throw them in the freezer. That way, I always have bananas when I want to make things like this! I have several bags of bananas in the freezer at any given time.. like now.. haha!
we are big fans of banana bread in this house. there was a period a little while back where i was whipping up a loaf every weekend. :)
Post a Comment